onsdag den 30. juni 2010

Reading & Writing

Have you seen my competition this week: win an Amazon gift voucher.

The library wanted to see the books I carried home last month so I have just selected some new temptations. The most interesting ones seem to be:

Jan Costin Wagner, Ismåne (German novel, translated into Danish. English title Ice Moon)

Julie Hastrup, En torn i øjet (Danish debut – I try to keep an eye on the most promising debuts from my own country)

Sarah Waters, Nattevagt (translation of The Nightwatch)

Torgny Lindgren & Eric Åkerlund, Døden en bekymring (Swedish pastiche)


Have you tried any of these authors? What did you think?

I have not read much the last week, though. I have had some work projects to round off, a good friend´s birthday party, and I have made some progress on my ´old´ manuscript. Besides I have planned “The Cosy Knave” and written three sketchy scenes. I have enjoyed my new project so far – and I think that counts for something.

10 kommentarer:

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - I like your priorities, now that you've got your story planned. I can't wait to read it when it's published : ).

I wish I could give you some insight on those authors, but I'm honestly not familiar with them : (.

Dorte H sagde ...

Margot: it is important for me to write as much as possible right now, not only because of my holidays, but also because the inspiration is highest at the beginning of a project.

Belle Wong sagde ...

I haven't been around much online the past little while, so doing some catch-up. The Cozy Knave sounds good! Is the old ms you're polishing up for submission a cozy too?

I haven't read any of the authors you mentioned - I always find something intriguing here at your blog and end up at Bookmooch because that's been the best way so far of getting my hands on books by non-North American crime authors.

Maxine Clarke sagde ...

I very much liked Ice Moon.....and I would be interested to know what you make of the Danish Debut!
I am glad to read of the progress with your own writing..hope it continues to go well.

Dorte H sagde ...

Belle: no, the old ms is a Danish novel, a combination of private sleuth and police procedural, and hopefully serious and a little bit scary. I felt like writing something light and funny, and so far I have enjoyed the process very much.

Dorte H sagde ...

Maxine: thank you!

And I am glad I was right when I though you had recommended Costin Wagner at some point.

Kelly sagde ...

I've heard good things about Sarah Waters from more than one person, but I've yet to read any of her books.

I'll see what you think of this one.

Dorte H sagde ...

Kelly: she has been on some shortlist recently, hasn´t she?

Kerrie sagde ...

I'm reading ICE MOON Dorte

Dorte H sagde ...

Kerrie: great! Then I can see what you think soon. I have another one to finish first, though, but I am reading very little these days. I wrote 1800 words yesterday, and with my speed that is quite an achievement.