tirsdag den 23. november 2010

Two-Sentence Tuesday # 5


First a real teaser. I have begun writing a Danish novel recently, and here you have the very first sentences of that one:

Tora baksede lidt med den rustne nøgle, før det lykkedes hende at få den blå dør til at give efter. Indenfor lugtede der indeklemt og fugtigt, men det gav ingen mening at begynde at lukke vinduer op i den tætte havgus
.

[Tora struggled with the rusty key until she succeeded in making the blue door yield. Inside it smelled stuffy and damp, but there was no point in opening the windows in the sea fog.]

But I shouldn´t treat my faithful readers so respectlessly so here is a bit for the majority of you from The Halloween Murderer:

Rhapsody coughed, trying to hide the fact that her heart was thumping rapidly. Reverend Sheridan Thwing was so tall that he had developed a stoop, and in combination with the black and white dog collar shirt one couldn´t help thinking of a vulture.

Two-Sentence Tuesday is hosted by Women of Mystery.

------------------------------------------------

I can´t help it; I´ll have to add this quotation:

My mother was the village librarian; we lived a matter of a few steps away from the library. Books were as common as underwear in our apartment– and every bit as important.

My blog friend Cathy, Kittling Books, has written a delicous post about her Reading Roots on the blog "Reading Through Life". Cathy is a wonderful reader & writer.

12 kommentarer:

gautami tripathy sagde ...

Great teaser!


Here is my Tintin teaser!

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - Thanks so much for those sentences!! I'm so impressed with what I've been reading of The Halloween Murder! I really can't wait to read the whole thing.

And your other sentences are so intriguing! I want very much to know what's in that room!

Kelly sagde ...

The Halloween Murderer sounds better and better with each little big you share!

Love that quote about books/underwear, too.
:)

Karen Russell sagde ...

Ooh, I like both of those. Every once in a while I just have to recognize that I can't read everything, but... well, maybe. ;)

Dorte H sagde ...

Thank you for your kind comments and your encouragement. It means a lot to me that you want to hear more about my sleuths.

Laura K. Curtis sagde ...

I can't believe you didn't provide a translation for us dunces who can't read your Danish novel!

Dorte H sagde ...

Laura: but it´s funny that you are the first reader who asked for one (Margot can read it, though, so she doesn´t count).

A free translation:
Tora struggled with the rusty key until she succeeded in making the blue door yield. Inside it smelled stuffy and damp, but there was no point in opening the windows in the sea fog.

Lois Karlin sagde ...

"Books were as common as underware...." That's wonderful. Wish I could read your own contribution, but thanks for playing along.

Dorte H sagde ...

Hi Lois.

I translated it for Laura in the comment above. I just wanted people to guess before they see the English version.

Cathryn Grant sagde ...

That's a great image, I could see the vulture emerging before the comparison was made!

Bogstavsamleren.dk sagde ...

Godt afsæt i den danske start; jeg er allerede ret spændt!

Dorte H sagde ...

Linse: godt du kan lide optakten. Jeg er lige nået op på 7.000 ord i aften, og de skulle nødigt gå til spilde! :D