fredag den 26. november 2010

Michael Connelly, 9 Dragons (2009)

This American police procedural is the fifteenth in the Harry Bosch series.

Harry Bosch and partner are called out to a liquor store robbery. The Chinese owner, a hardworking immigrant and quiet family father, John Li, has been shot three times through the chest. A week-old surveillance tape shows an Asian type who may be extorting Li, and the police suspect the murder was committed by a triad, a secret Chinese society.

Harry is a thorough and observant detective, dedicated to his job, and when the case leads him to Hong Kong, he rushes off on the first plane. Despite his best efforts, he gets some things wrong in the first place, however, so we don´t get all the answers until the last chapters of the book. Besides, the single father Harry learns a bit about what it takes to raise a teenage daughter.

An exciting story with much interesting information about Hong Kong and Chinese culture, but it also brought tears to my eyes once – something that doesn´t happen very often.

Inspired by this blog post I bought the Kindle ebook myself. Thank you, Seana, it was a great read.
.

11 kommentarer:

Maxine Clarke sagde ...

Glad you liked this one, Dorte, I enjoyed it, too. A very good, solid read, and also sad, as you say.

Felicity Grace Terry sagde ...

On my tbr pile - I got it in a joblot of books that I bought. So far I have kept picking it up only to put it back down, after your review I think i must pck it up and read it.

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - Fine review! I'm very glad you liked this book. I'm not one to get weepy about a book, either, but this one did have that one place... Having Bosch travel to Hong Kong did give some interesting information. It was, in my opinion, also an effective way for Connelly to add things, change things around a bit, etc..

Dorte H sagde ...

Maxine: I know I have read one or two of his books before, but they have certainly not made this impression on me.

Tracy: I think the plot part that made a great impression on me, will also appeal to you.

Margot: yes, he will be able to change a few things in Harry´s life after this.

seana graham sagde ...

Glad you liked it, Dorte, and good job of not giving too much away in your review. I too really enjoyed Bosch taking it to Hong Kong. I'm also very curious about the next Harry Bosch, due to the developments in this one.

Dorte H sagde ...

Seana: I am glad you saw my review. I don´t often rush off to buy a book based on one blog post, but you really made me curious. And I can see that Kindle makes spontaneous shopping much easier.

pattinase (abbott) sagde ...

He is very very consistent.

Beth F sagde ...

I'm stopping by to tell you that I'm glad you discovered the What's in a Name 4 blog. The categories should be fairly easy to do with mysteries -- especially the evil category.

Mason Canyon sagde ...

Enjoyed your review. I'm listening to my first Michael Connelly book (The Reversal). It's been interesting and now I'll have to check out his earlier books.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Kelly sagde ...

This one sounds good, but I'm not going to let myself get interested in a series that I already know has 15 titles in it! My daughter just told me tonight that I need to get busy reading the books that are overflowing from my shelves!

Dorte H sagde ...

Patti: I´ll probably follow his series from now on - but I won´t go all the way back!

Beth: that jewel may be difficult, but the others will be easy for me.

Mason: I am glad you liked it.

Kelly: no, I understand that (but the Kindle version of this one was rather cheap ;D)