onsdag den 10. november 2010

Kindling your Curiosity

Yes, I have received my new gadget. I ordered my Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, latest generation Friday and held it in my hand Monday afternoon.(No picture as I am not writing this post from home).

Yes, I have bought my first books. One because I wanted it, and one because it is just too easy to hit that button! Well, I did browse for editions of Macbeth, but I don´t recall having chosen one. Fortunately it was the cheapest one available. (Not that I don´t think Shakespeare is value for money, it is just that I own two or three paper versions already).

Yes, I have read my first book.
I had planned to read another book by Laura Wilson, but when I found her “Dying Voices” for less than eight dollars, I decided that that would be a very suitable test. (A short review will follow)

Yes, it is very easy to use. Most features are rather intuitive.

Yes, I enjoyed reading on the screen. I have shown it to several relatives and colleagues, and they all agree that the black letters on the white screen is just as perfect as reading on paper.

As I don´t know exactly how long the book is, I can´t say much about my reading speed, but I read it over two evenings (so definitely not slow motion).

A feature I really like is the icon which tells me how many percent of the book I have read. I think it is quite common for readers of crime fiction and thrillers that we want to know when we hit that crucial, final chapter.

So all in all, several large plusses.

I have only run into one problem yet. I have downloaded a NetGalley review book to my Kindle, but it seems to have vanished into thin air. According to NetGalley and Amazon, it should be enought to add my Kindle e-mail address to my NetGalley profile and add the NetGalley e-mail address to the list of addresses I am willing to receive files from. But no.

ADDITION: problem solved - I tried downloading them again, and this time it suddenly worked.

(Of course I am prepared to pay for most of my books, but Amazon just swallowed most of my 2011 book budget the other day)

13 kommentarer:

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - I'm glad you are enjoying your Kindle!! Perhaps one of these days I'll save up and buy one :-).

Dorte H sagde ...

Margot: I am not sure I saved up, but on the other hand my husband can always find some money when *he* wants something electronic ;D

Unknown sagde ...

I don't know anything about Netgalley but I hope you find a solution soon. I love my Kindle!

CD

Cathryn Grant sagde ...

Enjoy. I can't wait until I get one. Thanks for letting us know what you think of it.

Dorte H sagde ...

Clarissa: somehow it just worked tonight. Mysteriously - but sometimes the internet is like that.

Cathryn: thank you. I am reading a 500-page-long paperback right now and suddenly it feels *very* heavy and clumsy :D

Bernadette sagde ...

glad you are enjoying it and I know what you mean about the 'old-fashioned' book feeling a bit clumsy - especially those big bricks.

Dorte H sagde ...

Bernadette: when I make up my mind to buy something, I also make up my mind to enjoy it - and I do! :D

Kelly sagde ...

Oh, Dorte.... a Kindle is the LAST things I need, but you're making me want one!!

I'm glad it's living up to your expectations so far.

Felicity Grace Terry sagde ...

So, as one blogger put it, you have gone over to the dark side. A device people seem to love or hate, some even argue that paper books will be redundant in the next few years. What do you think Dorte, will you contine reading books as well?

Dorte H sagde ...

Kelly: I didn´t mean to tempt anyone, and most e-books are not as cheap as I think they should be. But for me it is an easy way of getting some review books.

Tracy: yes I have. But I can´t ever see myself giving up real books. I do admit that on a bad day in bed the Kindle is better than the huge paperback (450 large pages) I am reading right now, though.

Louise sagde ...

Interesting, very interesting indeed! Thanks for sharing the pros (and virtually no cons).

Dorte H sagde ...

Louise: Well, I could open a discussion of e-book prices, or the geographical restrictions (i.e. that Danish readers can´t buy British e-books), but as that has nothing to do with the Kindle as such, I decided not to.

Nan sagde ...

That's exactly when I use mine -bedtime. I love the size, the ease of it rather than trying to hold onto a book. Downstairs I read regular books.