onsdag den 4. maj 2011

A Few Steps Forward

I have not written much about my challenges lately so perhaps it is time for a progress report.

First, the Danish challenge "Bogudfordringen 2011".
January - crime before 2000.
February - short stories
March - female Danish writers
April - books from the 1800s.


So far, no problems, but May is fantasy month. I bought Neil Gaiman´s Coraline the other day, hoping it would be to my taste.

Second, the 2011 Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge
I finished this challenge last week, and I really enjoyed reading a couple of books and stories I would not have chosen otherwise.
Margery Allingham, Hide Your Eyes (British 1958)
John Buchan, The Thirty-Nine Steps (Scottish – 1915)
Palle Rosenkrantz, Hvad skovsøen gemte (Danish - 1903)
Blicher, The Rector of Vejlby (Kindle - 3 Danish short stories, 19th century)
Mary Elizabeth Braddon, Lady Audley´s Secret (British – 1862)
Arne Magnussen, Den vidtudråbte besættelse i Thisted (Danish - 1699/1891)


Third, Ireland Reading Challenge
Five books read, one to go. And my, this challenge has been a pleasure. Five great reads, all strongly recommended.

Declan Burke, The Big O (2007)
Tana French, The Likeness (2008) 
Brian McGilloway, Gallows Lane (2008)
Colin Bateman, Mystery Man (2009)
Jane Casey, The Burning (2010)

For my last challenges I will keep you updated when I have news for you.

11 kommentarer:

Elizabeth Spann Craig sagde ...

Looks like you're making some amazing progress!

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - I'm very impressed! You are doing very well with these challenges! I'll be interested to see what you think of Coraline.

Dorte H sagde ...

Elizabeth: not bad - I really like being able to tick off an obligation now and then.

Margot: thank you. I thought Coraline would be something I could get through.

pattinase (abbott) sagde ...

Just watched the Masterpiece Theater version of 39 Steps. It keeps popping up, doesn't it?

Barbara sagde ...

John Buchan was a large part of the World War I book I just read. Missed 39 Steps on Masterpiece, darn it!

Joanne Ganley sagde ...

Well done! I've read Coraline and would also be interested in what you think.

Kelly sagde ...

Looks to me like you're doing very well. I started off with a bang, but am currently reading something that doesn't count for anything.

Dorte H sagde ...

Patti: yes I know it does, though not really in my place of the world.

Barbara: too bad! I was really impressed someone could write a spy story that *I* enjoyed :)

Joanne: I have seen very enthusiastic reviews from blog friends whose opinion I trust so I think I´ll like it.

Kelly: well, I have my ups and downs, and I think it is important to allow yourself to read plenty of books just for pleasure. That´s why we began blogging, wasn´t it?

Belle Wong sagde ...

You're doing great with your reading challenges! I have learned to abstain from them - I'm just terrible with challenges.

Beth F sagde ...

I am usually fantastic with challenges, but this year I seem to have fallen apart. Oh well, I still have 8 months!

Dorte H sagde ...

Belle: I have most done the fun part so let´s see what happens next.

Beth: 8 months is definitely a long time! :)