tirsdag den 17. maj 2011

R is for Revenge

- the alphabet in crime is hosted by Kerrie, Mysteries in Paradise -

A few lines written in between washing & packing.

Revenge is not exactly my favourite crime fiction plot, but when it is done well, the result may be a wonderful pageturner. So I will mention a couple of recent reviews where revenge is part of the plot, but without going into detail because it is quite easy to spoil such a story for those of you who have not read it yet.

First, I´ll highlight Jussi Adler-Olsen´s Mercy (UK title) or The Keeper of Lost Causes (US). I re-read the first Carl Mørck story in English earlier this month because I was curious about the English translation. Here a dramatic event acts like a catalyst many years later.

Second, I reviewed Martin Edwards´ standalone, Take My Breath Away as my first May book. Apparently a woman returns from the dead, bent on revenge. There is much else to this story, but the urge to get even is one of the pieces of the puzzle.

What is your favourite story that includes an element of revenge?

----------------------------------

Writer´s news:

I created an author´s page on Amazon the other day. While I am writing this, my short biography and two of my works are visible, and "Candied Crime" should also be on the way. So for those of you who prefer shopping via Amazon.com, it is now possible. But I recommend that you check the price. Mobi for Kindle is also available from Smashwords, and their VAT-free version may be cheaper for some of you.

"Liquorice Twists" should also be available via Barnes & Noble, Sony, Kobo, Apple and Diesel in a week or two.
.

10 kommentarer:

Elizabeth Spann Craig sagde ...

Have fun at CrimeFest! Save travels. :)

The first that came to mind was "And Then There Were None," but then I thought...but not *really*. It's really not *revenge*. Not wanting to spoil it for anyone else, though, so I'll stop there. To me, revenge is personal.

Dorte H sagde ...

Elizabeth: thank you.
I think it makes sense to talk about revenge in "And Then There Were None".

BooksPlease sagde ...

Have a good time at Crimefest. I was hoping to go too but it clashes with the granddaughters' ballet show!

Pariah by Dave Zeltserman is a crime revenge novel - not normally my taste, but I did enjoy it.

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - I hope you enjoy Crimefest :-). And revenge is an excellent choice for the letter "R." I'm thinking Dorothy Sayers' Gaudy Night..revenge plays a role there...

Felicity Grace Terry sagde ...

Firstly can I say that I'm having pretty much the same thoughts about Blogger and am also considering changing.

Revenge as a subject matter? I must have read a book with revenge as a motive at some time or other, its just that nothing springs to mind.

Kelly sagde ...

I look forward to hearing all about Crimefest when you return!

"The Meaning of Night" by Michael Cox, which I reviewed last October, was really good and showed how complicated things can become when revenge becomes an obsession.

Bogstavsamleren.dk sagde ...

God tur :-)

Dorte H sagde ...

Margaret: a pity because I am not likely to return for several years. It is very difficult for me to leave the school in May, right before the exam period.

Margot: I am really beginning to look forward to it now. And Gaudy Night is a terrific story about revenge.

Tracy: I know what it is like. When I read the excellent examples others come up with, I recognize them, but coming up with examples of my own???

Kelly: I just packed three notebooks :)

Linse: tak skal du have.

Bibliophile sagde ...

Cool, I hope your Amazon page brings in more buyers for your books.

Dorte H sagde ...

Bibliophile: so do I! So far I have got a great review at least :)