fredag den 4. februar 2011

Brian McGilloway, Gallows Lane (2008)


This Irish police procedural is the second in the Inspector Benedict Devlin Series.

This book was a fine choice for the Irish challenge. It conveys a strong sense of the setting close to the border of Northern Ireland and the special working conditions for the police force in a border area. Besides, McGilloway strikes a fine balance between giving too much or too little information about ´the Troubles´ between North and South.

On the very first page James Kerr is released from prison, and Superintendent Costello orders Devlin to keep an eye on him to find out if he really has found Jesus or is bent on revenge. He acted as a driver in a robbery, but his partners shot him and left him in the car for the police to pick him up.

Other elements of the plot are young women who are beaten up, and some drugs which are found in the backyard of British Peter Webb. Apparently Webb reacts by committing suicide, but perhaps things are a bit more complex. Besides, James Kerr seems to be interested in Webb and his wife.

As usual, Ben Devlin and his partner, Caroline Williams, have to get round the Special Branch to try to get some of the answers to their questions. Devlin is a likeable and very human protagonist who loves his family but gets caught up between priorities such as honesty, loyalty to colleagues and his own ambitions.

I bought the book myself, and I am looking forward to the third volume which is already on my shelf.
Read for the Ireland Reading Challenge # 2.
.

6 kommentarer:

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - Thanks for this fine review. I agree that it's difficult to strike the balance between giving too much background information (in this case, about "The Troubles") and not giving enough. I'm glad McGilloway strikes that balance for you.

Heather sagde ...

Your review leaves a lot of mystery yet. Thanks. NOw I want to add another author to my list.

Unknown sagde ...

I love the cover and the plot. I want my publisher to do my cover something like that.

Dorte H sagde ...

Margot: he could so easily have bored me as I don´t mix crime & politics, but he never did.

Heather: I am glad I also seem to have struck the balance between too little and too much information :D

Clarissa: the cover is indeed tasteful.

Kelly sagde ...

I have the first from this series on my wish list at Amazon. This one sounds equally appealing.

Dorte H sagde ...

Kelly: this one was fine, but I think the first one may be marginally better.