mandag den 16. maj 2011

Neil Gaiman, Coraline (2002)



Today I am visiting Kelly of Kelly´s Thoughts & Ramblings. Kelly and I will be ever so pleased if you peep in to say hello, and perhaps some of you also want to know why the vicar´s wife writes crime fiction

This British fantasy is brilliantly illustrated by Dave McKean. I only read Coraline because I needed some fantasy for a challenge (Bogudfordringen 2011), but I enjoyed it very much. 

Once you realize Coraline is a little school girl and neither the teenager she looks like on the cover nor the tiny midget she sounds like, the story works very well.

"Something moved. It was little more than a shadow, and it scuttled down the darkened hall fast, like a little patch of night."


Coraline and her family move into a new flat in a mysterious house. One rainy day when she is bored, she finds the door which leads to nowhere. Her mother does not lock the door afterwards, and of course you know immediately that this was very unwise of her. The next time Coraline tries the door, it suddenly leads to somewhere - a flat which looks deceptively like her own, but where everything is just a bit different.

And in this other world Coraline realizes she need all her courage and determination in order to change things back so she can return to her ordinary life which suddenly seems incredibly appealing.

I bought the Kindle version myself, and if you like fantasy/fairy tales, this one is strongly recommended.

--------------------------------

NB: I know I should be in touch with a few of you who have also invited me to guest blog, but that will have to wait until I have come to my senses after CrimeFest. 

9 kommentarer:

Bernadette sagde ...

Haven't read the book but did take my nieces to see the film and it was terrific.

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - Interesting! It sounds like a fine fantasy/fairy tale read. I don't normally go for this type of book, but you've tempted me to try this one.

Dorte H sagde ...

Bernadette: Gaiman is excellent at creating a different but credible world, and I suppose that is what fantasy is all about.

Margot: I could have cheated by re-reading Harry Potter, but I prefer reading new books for my challenges, and though this one is a children´s book, it is one of the very best of the kind.

Kelly sagde ...

I do enjoy the occasional fantasy story and this one sounds very good. I'm not sure I like the cover, though. That means if I get it I should opt for the Kindle so I don't have to look at it. :)

Dorte H sagde ...

Kelly: I have shown two different covers to my daughter, and she agrees with me that it seems to be a young teenager. Very confusing, but once you find out she is not, the story is full of suspense and charm. She is the same determined and courageous type as Flavia de Luce.

pattinase (abbott) sagde ...

Great film. Lovely graphics, great story, scared me to death.

Dorte H sagde ...

Patti, I am happy that I chose this one but it is not the first time I have found that the best children´s books are books for everybody.

Bibliophile sagde ...

I loved Coraline. Seeing the movie (in 3D) was great, and they fortunately didn't change the story much. I think this is one of those books that are in some ways scarier for adults than for kids.

Dorte H sagde ...

Bibliophile: the book did not scare me, but the film may be different in that way. Perhaps I should buy it and say it is for my daughters?