onsdag den 20. april 2011

Jane Casey, The Burning (2010)



This novel is the Irish writer´s second thriller; a stand-alone which is set in London. My review of The Missing.

Young Kelly Staples has been looking forward to a night out, but a couple of hours later she finds herself in the loo, very drunk and wondering why she wasn´t smart enough to leave together with her friends. A kind gentleman offers to drive her home, though.

Kelly is not as easy a victim as she seemed, and she knows a serial killer is around so after a few pages it seems that the killer is apprehended. But while D.C. Maeve Kerrigan is talking to Kelly, the police find a fifth victim, Rebecca Haworth.

Despite the serial-killer label, this novel is not the tacky introspection of some gruesome psychopath. After the first chapters, we follow Louise North, Rebecca´s close friend, who seems curiously preoccupied by Rebecca´s life, and D.C. Maeve Kerrigan who struggles to solve these atrocious crimes against women. Besides, she is the victim of sexual harassment at work and personal problems with her yuppie boyfriend, so Kerrigan has her hands full. The stubborn Irishwoman trusts her instincts and her intelligence, however, and proves her worth on more than one front. 

I bought the book myself, and Jane Casey´s third book looms high on my wish list.

Ireland Reading challenge # 5.

7 kommentarer:

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - I'm glad you liked this one. You are so right that it's hard to make a serial killer novel interesting, believable and so on. I'm glad this one is :-).

Unknown sagde ...

It's going on my must read.

Dorte H sagde ...

Margot: I liked her debut, but this one is even better.

Clarissa: I felt the same way when I had seen a few reviews of this one.

Beth F sagde ...

This is a new to me author and I like the idea that it's a standalone. I love series, but sometimes it's nice to just read a single book.

Elizabeth Spann Craig sagde ...

Sounds intriguing! Thanks for the review, Dorte. :)

Kelly sagde ...

I love the cover of this book with its accompanying blurb. Very clever!

Dorte H sagde ...

Beth: and nice to know you won´t have to buy fifteen more ;)

Elizabeth: her first novel showed much potential, and this one is terrific.

Kelly: yes, isn´t it? Though the serial-killer plot is not in focus ;) - but I suppose it sells books.