fredag den 10. september 2010

Kate Ellis, An Unhallowed Grave (1999)

Another brief reading report (sorry; I have been very busy writing, working – and blowing my nose - lately).

This series combines serious police work in the shape of DS Wesley Peterson, the coloured element of the local police force, plus an archaeology theme (Peterson´s mate from university, Neil Watson).

As usual in the series there is a modern mystery. The doctor´s well-liked secretary, Pauline Brent, is found hanged in the local cemetery, and the murderer has not made a very good job of imitating a suicide. The theme is the past which catches up with you. Besides the team of archaeologist find the body of a young woman who was hanged several centuries earlier.

This is classical British crime fiction with a nice sense of place, and in my opinion there is a touch of cosy mystery. I bought the book myself.
.

6 kommentarer:

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - Thanks for this review. It may be brief, but it's well done. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I confess I haven't read it yet, myself, but I should look for it...

Unknown sagde ...

Cool book. Love these types of mysteries.

Dorte H sagde ...

Margot: some days it just can´t be helped. No matter how much coffee I drink. And I won´t revert to putting my blog before my writing all the time.

Clarissa: it is a nice and quiet British mystery.

Felicity Grace Terry sagde ...

A great review. I love the cover of this book, so eerie don't you think? Hope your cold is clearing.

Kelly sagde ...

I usually enjoy mysteries that draw from the past as well as dealing with the present.

Hope you're back to normal soon! (for me, that's a questionable state!)

Dorte H sagde ...

Tracy: yes, it is an excellent cover for the story. My cold is better, thank you, but I am a bit slow and tired still.

Kelly: then you´d probably like her series.