torsdag den 8. juli 2010

Rob Kitchin, The White Gallows (2010)


This Irish police procedural is the second in the Colm McEvoy series.

Within one day Detective Superintendent Colm McEvoy is sent out to two deaths. The first one is an anonymous Lithuanian, the second is old Dr Koch, a German billionaire in his 90s, the founder of a successful company. At first glance, Koch seems to have died a natural death, but the young officer who arrives at the crime scene suspects foul play when he notices some marks on the body.

Outside Koch´s unassuming farmhouse the police discover a noose hanging from an old oak tree. A gallows, prepared for Dr Koch, or some kind of message? Significantly, the noose is placed where the local gallows was in the past (nice touch), indicating that Koch´s death may be related to his past.

The hotheaded relatives are less than pleased when they realize they are on McEvoy´s list of suspects together with his Polish housekeeper Roza, his temperamental neighbour and two East Europeans, members of the Jewish organization the Yellow Star. The organization is on the track of a Nazi war criminal who used his expertise on chemistry in the Jewish Skeleton Project, a most horrible concentration camp experiment.

Colm McEvoy, a likeable and honest detective, has been a single father since his wife died of cancer a year ago. His twelve-year-old daughter seems to cope well and be happy to spend much of her time with her aunt though she can´t help worrying whether her hard-working father remembers to eat. McEvoy misses his wife acutely, and as he quit smoking a few months ago he is not only lonely and overworked, but also highly irritable. As a consequence, McEvoy rubs several people up the wrong way, suspects as well as colleagues, yet it may be a sign that he is ready to move on with his life that he shows some interest in Kelly Stringer, his pretty colleague with the shapely legs.

It was a great pleasure to read my way through the twists and turns of this exciting, yet quite realistic novel which is a highly appreciated gift from the writer. See my review of Rob´s debut, The Rule Book.

And to quote Norman of Crime Scraps, "Hopefully there will be a book three in the series."

11 kommentarer:

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - Wonderful review! I really am eager to read this one. It sounds like a terrific read.

Mason Canyon sagde ...

Oh, you've definitely peaked my interest. So many thoughts pop in my head. Does the first murder connect with Koch, was Koch murdered for his past or just greedy relatives taking advantage of that to throw the cops off. Great review.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Beth F sagde ...

This sounds like a series I'd like. I like the Irish setting and I think I"d like the back story of McEvoy too.

Dorte H sagde ...

Margot: thank you! I had great expectations, and I wasn´t disappointed.

Mason: I am glad I have aroused your curiosity. This was not one of those plots you guess on page fifty.

Beth: McEvoy is more grumpy and stressed than in the first book, but I still like him a lot, especially as he struggles so hard to be a good father. And after having read the ending of the second, I think Rob Kitchin may have something in store for the family.

pattinase (abbott) sagde ...

I hope to get to it soon. My toppling TBR pile is embarrassing.

Felicity Grace Terry sagde ...

A really memorable cover. another book to be added to my wish list. Thanks for the recommendation Dorte.

Dorte H sagde ...

Patti: I am sure you´ll like this one. And owning too many books is definitely better than no books!

Tracy: I am glad you like the cover. This book is a bit special for me because I have followed Rob Kitchin´s blog and seen the cover even before it was published.

Kelly sagde ...

This one really sounds good! I, too, like the cover.

Doesn't hurt that I like the name 'Colm', too.

Dorte H sagde ...

Kelly: there is much to like about this novel :D

Rob Kitchin sagde ...

Thanks for the review, Dorte. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'd like to say I'm working on finishing the third book, but other things seem to keep getting in the way. My plan is to have it complete by the end of August. Great that people like the cover, as you know there's a backstory to that! At least with the next one I am going to be wandering round with a spade, rather than noose, looking for a photo opportunity!

Dorte H sagde ...

Rob: perhaps I should divert my readers with a link to your ´cover story´?
Good to know Colm is in for more adventure - perhaps with a touch of romance?