mandag den 16. august 2010

Ruth Rendell, More than Crime

It is really amazing how much extra time you have when you are cut off from the internet for a day or two. You won´t want to hear about everything I have done, but let me just mention that I wrote 3,000 words this weekend – and read a novel.

Last year I began a series of posts about Ruth Rendell´s long-standing protagonist, the capable and likeable Chief Inspector Reg Wexford. My aim was to look at the development he had gone through over forty-five years. After three posts I ran out of time, however, or more precisely, I decided I wanted to spend more time writing crime fiction, less time reading and reviewing it.

Here are last year´s posts for anyone who might wish to read them, plus a special post about Mike Burden.

Reg Wexford, 1960s
Reg Wexford, early 1970s
Reg Wexford, late 1970s
Mike Burden, the eternal sidekick.


And here is my new plan: a few posts about some of Rendell´s novels from the 1990s, a period when she took up some social and environmental issues in her books. We see evidence of this development e.g. in A Sleeping Life (1978) where women´s liberation is a recurrent theme though Reg and Dora Wexford are less than thrilled by this new-fangled idea.

Coming up: Ruth Rendell, Simisola (1994)

6 kommentarer:

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - So glad your internet is back. Isn't it amazing how dependent we become on that kind of technology? And thanks for your focus on Ruth Rendell; what a wonderful idea, and I look forward to learning from you.

Uriah Robinson sagde ...

I am reading her latest Wexford The Monster in the Box now and old Reg Wexford does go on a bit about the changes in society since he was a young man.

Dorte H sagde ...

Margot: I am not so sure I can teach *you* a lot about crime fiction, but thank you :D

Norman: that is one of his few flaws in my opinion :D

Kelly sagde ...

Glad to have you back with your internet working again!

I need to go back and read these posts. Even though I enjoyed the only Rendell I read (The Rottweiler), I need to try the Wexford novels.

Kerrie sagde ...

I actually think that in MONSTER Rendell manages to show how Reg is aging quite well.

Dorte H sagde ...

Kelly: and I am glad to be back - even though I got so much done this weekend :D The Rottweiler is good, but many of her other novels are much finer (in my opinion).

Kerrie: I am looking forward to reading it. It is definitely on my list.