onsdag den 4. august 2010

DJ´s Bait in the Box # 69

A very suitable quotation for this week, I think.

“She knew that her mother´s querulous, apologetic, half-whining voice would enrage him, that her own sullen presence would help neither of them, but she couldn´t go up to bed. The noise of what would happen beneath her room would be more terrifying than to be part of it. And now the room was full of him, his blundering body, the stink of him. Hearing his bellow of outrage, his ranting, she felt a sudden spurt of fury, and with it came courage. She heard herself saying, ´It isn´t Mother´s fault. The chair was wrapped up when the man left it. She couldn´t see it was the wrong colour. They´ll have to change it.´

And then he turned on her. She couldn´t recall the words. Perhaps at the time there had been no words, or she hadn´t heard them. There was only the crack of the smashed bottle, like a pistol shot, the stink of whisky, a moment of searing pain which passed almost as soon as she felt it and the warm blood flowing from her cheek, dripping onto the seat of the chair, her mother´s anguished cry. ´Oh God, look what you´ve done. The blood! They´ll never take it back now. They´ll never change it.´”

The Rules
If you recognize the quotation, or if you think you are able to guess who wrote it, please post a comment. Just leave a hint, do not spoil the fun by giving too much away. The book will be reviewed on Friday.

13 kommentarer:

Unknown sagde ...

I don't think I ever will get the quotes, lol! But I love this box, and most others you have every week. But this one is especially lovely :)

Jose Ignacio Escribano sagde ...

A very appropriate box Dorte. Almost on time to celebrate a birthday.

Dorte H sagde ...

Lilly: as long as my readers think they are entertaining ... :D

Jose: I stand in awe of your memory. Great clue.

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - Please be patient with me; I'm rather private about my guesses. But if I am correct, then yes, this is timed well for a birthday.

Dorte H sagde ...

Margot: oh you sly woman. Private is okay, as long as you don´t hesitate because you are ill? ;D

R/T sagde ...

I have a private confession: Sometimes I am simply not patient enough to work out the clues that you sometimes offer. But I try!

Dorte H sagde ...

R.T.: Ah, how secretive we all are today :D

pattinase (abbott) sagde ...

I always check this out but never get one. Oh, for my former memory.

Dorte H sagde ...

Patti: I am sorry so few of them are from your part of the world. This one was a must for this week, however.

Kelly sagde ...

I don't know it (though something seems vaguely familiar about it), but as always...I love the box!!

I loved the quote, too. I just knew the mother was going to be worried more about the chair than the injury, LOL!

Uriah Robinson sagde ...

I thought if I waited long enough the clever ones would get it for me. But the Tower Bridge clue and the blood should have given me the answer.

Fiona sagde ...

I wouldn't have known had it not been for the helpful clues in the comments - and any other time I still might not have guessed!

Dorte H sagde ...

Kelly: we´ll see tomorrow if you have read it or it just sounds like another story. I also fell for this quotation because of the mother´s horrible priorities.

Norman: the clever ones - says the guy who makes the world´s hardest competitions!!!

Fiona: it is just great that the clues are helpful - the fun part of the game is to give a morsel away, but not too much.