fredag den 12. februar 2010

Pierre Magnan, Death in the Truffle Wood (2005)


A mini review for a busy day. Sorry, this novel deserves far better, but ...

The plot: a handful of young hippies who have sought refuge in a village in Provence to get away from their middle class background disappear without trace. Have they chosen to move on, or is something criminal going on?

This unusual and delicious French crime novel was first published in 1978. The sense of place is very strong, and among the colourful characters we meet Roseline, a highly valued member of Alyne Morelon´s family, earning her living as a successful truffle pig. In her spare time she is an excellent detective due to her keen sense of smell. Besides, the story shows the chasm between the young hippies who care about sex, drugs and rock and roll, and the traditional farming community who care about ... well, certainly their truffles.

My opinion: this novel is not quite new, but it is very charming and well-written, full of (dark) humour. I recommend it to anyone who wants to widen her or his reading horizon.

I bought the book myself. Read for the What´s in a Name challenge (food).

11 kommentarer:

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - An excellent choice for this week!! : ). Thanks for featuring it. One thing I really like about this game is that you don't feature, "regular," "run of the mill" crime novels.

Dorte H sagde ...

Thank you, Margot. But that is because my blog friends recommend so many excellent and unusual books :D

Kelly sagde ...

This sounds quite entertaining! Enough so that I looked it up on Amazon to see if it was offered (it is). The reviews there were mixed, but I'm still quite tempted...

Dorte H sagde ...

Kelly: as it is from 1978, the pace is not nearly as fast as in many contemporary novels, but I enjoyed the setting, language and characters very much.

Elizabeth Spann Craig sagde ...

What an interesting book! I like dark humor in mysteries and the characters and setting sounds unique. I'll see if I can find it...

Elizabeth
Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen

Beth F sagde ...

I love the cover -- and the premise. I'll have to see if my library has it.

Dorte H sagde ...

Elizabeth: I am sure you´ll appreciate this one.

Beth: yes, doesn´t it look gorgeous? I like that one can see a French book is French :D

Maxine Clarke sagde ...

Sounds hilarious! A cross between Ruth Rendell and Henning Mankell? I didn't realise(or had forgotten) that people could be truffle pigs, so I have learned something.

Dorte H sagde ...

Maxine: and a touch of Donna Moore, Stieg Larsson and Liza Marklund!

No, this one defies comparison. It has a tone of its own so the only things I am certain about is that it is not fast paced and there is a nice sense of humour.

Søren sagde ...

That's absolutely a very charming novel. I recomend it too!

Dorte H sagde ...

Søren: I didn´t know you had read it. It is indeed delicious and unusual. I think I have one more of his on my shelf.