mandag den 7. december 2009

Readers Suggest: What´s in a Name

Thank you to all my kind readers for your inspiring suggestions. I will save my December budget and buy some of them in January. Which ones? Well, that is a difficult question, because of course I want to read all the ones I have not read already. I have listed all of them as I hope to tempt some of my readers. The ones marked in green are books I have read (several of them are excellent stories)

1. A book with a food in the title
Pierre Magnan, Death in the Truffle Wood
Fannie Flagg, Fried Green Tomatoes
Joanne Fluke, the Hannah Swensen series
Douglas Clark, Roast Eggs
Peter Lovesey, Rough Cider

2. A book with a body of water in the title
Helen Robertson, Venice of the Black Sea
Minette Walters, The Ice House
Agatha Christie, Death on the Nile
Raymond Chandler, The Lady in the Lake
Michael Dibdin, Dead Lagoon
Thomas King, Green Grass, Running Water

3. A book with a title in the title
K.T.McCaffrey, Bishop's Pawn
Jan Guillou, In her Majesty´s Service
Ellery Queen, The King is Dead
Tony Hillerman, Talking God
Harry Kemelman, Friday the Rabbi Slept Late

4. A book with a plant in the title.
Marie Belloc Lowndes, The Story of Ivy
Lynda la Plante, Red Dahlia (two plants! – very elegant suggestion)
Ellis Peters, Monk´s Hood
Umberto Eco, The Name of the Rose
James Ellroy, The Black Dahlia

5. A book with a place name (city, country) in the title.
Rebecca Tope, Blood in the Cotswolds
Tim Heald, Murder at Moose Jaw
Matt Beynon Rees, The Collaborator of Bethlehem (The Bethlehem Murders)
Martin Edwards, Waterloo Sunset
Colin Dexter, Last Bus to Woodstock
Agatha Christie, 4:50 from Paddington
Dashiell Hammett, The Maltese Falcon
Colin Dexter, The Dead of Jericho

6. A book with a music term in the title.
Caro Ramsay, Singing to the Dead
Reg Hill, Midnight Fugue
Philip Kerr, A German Requiem
Ian Rankin, Exit Music
Kate Ross, The Devil in Music
Charles Willeford, Miami Blues

10 kommentarer:

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - It sounds as though you have some excellent suggestions! I hope you thoroughly enjoy the books you choose.

Unknown sagde ...

Believe it or not, of all the books you listed I only read one, Eco's The Name of the Rose but I liked it so much that I read it twice. obviously I would recommend it to anyone that's looking for an intelligent read or simply wants to read a slightly more complicated, literary historical mystery. It's definitely not a cozy mystery, at least it wasn't for me but I loved it nonetheless.

Belle Wong sagde ...

This is a great list, Dorte. I'm not doing the challenge, but I see some titles already that I want to add to my TBR!

Martin Edwards sagde ...

Hi Dorte - I do wish I'd written Sunset Boulevard, but I have to admit that I didn't!:)

Dorte H sagde ...

Lilly: I think The Name of the Rose is a book I will have to read before or later, but I have not made up my mind which ones to buy for the challenge yet.

Belle: yes, I really feel like buying them all, but I´d better not (or there won´t be Christmas gifts for the rest of the family).

Martin: oh, really? (I do need a weekend - the problem is I have just had one) :O

R/T sagde ...

Thank you, Dorte, for consolidating and posting the lists. Perhaps I will
"join the challenge," but I still have to clear my calendar before making any such decisions (i.e., the semester ends, students' papers accumulate, and I am up against a grade submission deadline--Help!).

Dorte H sagde ...

R.T.: I know all about papers, meetings, schedules etc, but it could be fun if you decided to join in. I also think my list is a great temptation. I feel like rushing off to buy them all.

Heather sagde ...

wow, that looks like a terrific list. One of these days I will have to try some of these challenges. So far I have only joined 2, The Canadian Book Challenge, and the Sookie Stackhouse.

Anonym sagde ...

If you want another sug for a body of water title, I'm currently in the middle of a mysterious and comic novel Green Grass Running Water by Thomas King. Well, I guess technically that is just water in the title and not a 'body of water'...

Dorte H sagde ...

Heather: yes, it is full of the most tempting titles! It would be fun if you join it too (it is ONLY six books, after all) :D

Care: well, if it is not a body, how can it run? I will add it to the list, thank you.