mandag den 21. december 2009

2010 Global Reading Challenge


As my new challenge blog is up and has already attracted a nicely international crowd of participants, I´d better post an advertisement here to see if I can tempt more of my readers to join the fun.

The Easy Challenge
Read one novel from each of these continents in the course of 2010:
Africa
Asia
Australasia
Europe
North America (incl Central America)
South America

From your own continent: try to find a country, state or author that is new to you.


The Medium Challenge
Read two novels from each of these continents in the course of 2010:
Africa
Asia
Australasia
Europe
North America (incl Central America)
South America

Try to find novels from twelve different countries or states.


The Expert Challenge
Read two novels from each of these continents in the course of 2010:
Africa
Asia
Australasia
Europe
North America (incl Central America)
South America
Add two novels which are set in Antarctica.

Select novels from fourteen different countries or states.

12 kommentarer:

Beth F sagde ...

Uh oh! I am going to have to a little look into South American novels -- I know I can find something from the other continents, but I've not had good luck with South America. I'll head over to the challenge blog.

Dorte H sagde ...

Beth: I agree that South American novels are not the easiest. I came across a blogger recently, though, who lives in Brazil.

You can find the blog which Leighton Gage shares with six other bloggers here:

http://murderiseverywhere.blogspot.com/

Jose Ignacio Escribano sagde ...

Dorte, maybe some participants can find this article helpful: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/crime-fiction-around-the-world-in-80-sleuths-873660.html
The problem with some South-American authors is that they might not be translated, but please let me know if I can be of any help.

Dorte H sagde ...

Jose: thank you for your excellent link which I have added to the sidebar of the challenge!

I imagine that if readers run into problems or want suggestions, they will come forward and ask for help. After some time it will also be possible to find inspiration by clicking on the link to the first reviews.

Alyce sagde ...

This looks like so much fun. I think I've already bitten off more than I can chew with challenges, but then again, this might crossover well with the Orbis Terrarum challenge. I'll be thinking about it for a few days.

Dorte H sagde ...

Alyce: it would be great if you joined, but I know that many bloggers have joined several challenges already :D

Elizabeth Spann Craig sagde ...

I'm going to be interested to see what books everyone chooses to read! I'll be lurking for this challenge. :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Dorte H sagde ...

Elizabeth: a challenge lurker? I like that :D

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks sagde ...

This does look like a great challenge; I don't think I read my usual amount of international fiction in 2009, very much North America based ... I'll see if I can change that!

Dorte H sagde ...

Dawn: great idea :D
Blogging is such a great, international hobby, and I think reading books from other continents can also contribute to a greater understanding of other cultures.

Jose Ignacio Escribano sagde ...

Dorte I’m more than half way through the easy challenge on January 25th. I will upgrade myself and go for the expert challenge.

Dorte H sagde ...

Jose: that is the way to go!