søndag den 20. december 2009

DJ´s Bait in the Box # 46


This week´s wonderful bait box is a gift from my daughters.

[Denne hyggelige julekrimi er ikke oversat til dansk]

Here is my last Christmas bait for this year. A bit untimely, but I was not sure you would have time to visit my little game on Wednesday and Thursday. From where? Well, at least I can tell you that the language is English.

“That was when he first thought it: that a meeting in a graveyard was not the best way to begin an attachment. The sparrow fluttered near him, but he shook it off. The next time he saw her, he would certainly find out why she was unhappy.

The next time he saw her she was dead.”


And just for fun, an extra quotation which I enjoyed quite a bit:

“The kids, who were a lot better out of their mother´s way than in it, all had absurdly fanciful names like Jasmine and Christabel, the sorts of names you give your kids when you don´t have enough confidence they can get by with being just plain old Marys and Johns.”

The Rules:
If you recognize the quotation, or if you think you are able to guess who wrote it, please post a comment. Just leave a hint, do not spoil the fun by giving too much away. The book will be reviewed in a few days.

8 kommentarer:

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - Thanks for this reminder of a fine book : ). If I'm right, and there's room in your post for my clue ; ), the title has a dash of the Middle East in it, and the protagonist has a very legal-sounding name...

Dorte H sagde ...

Margot: your clues are always welcome, and I think they must be very helpful.

Philip Amos sagde ...

Now, here we have one of two authors who have apparently spent much time walking "...upon England's mountains green" and have been on "...England's pleasant pastures seen." But I am one of those who thinks that their time in "England's green and pleasant land" has given them some awfully odd notions about that country. The author featured here I was once able to tolerate, with the help of a pint or two of real ale and a real pub, while the other of the two just drives me loopy.

Dorte H sagde ...

Philip: I am glad you found my untimely bait :D

And I quite agree that one should not partake in this kind of ´British´ literature too often, but a single romance around Christmas with a pint and a nice fire - well, I can live with that.

Philip Amos sagde ...

Dorte, I'm delighted you spotted my clues - both are peculiarly English, the extended one in particular. Well done you. I have, it so happens, been listening this morning to Danish Christmas hymns --Danske Julsamer og Sange -- courtesy of the Naxos Music Library. Carols by Balle, Cruger, Bruber, Nicolai, et al., in very lovely performances. I was planning on listening to my beloved Nielsen, but that can wait until later.

Dorte H sagde ...

Philip: well, I suppose knowing who the author is gives me ´an edge´ to quote the last page of the book :D

Enjoy Nielsen! Nielsen and Andersen are two countrymen I am quite proud of though we listen to Bach more often in this home. We don´t listen to psalms that often; we sing them. (Two every night in the Advent period).

Philip Amos sagde ...

Here is a musical Christmas present for you, Dorte. If you go to the website of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra (tso.ca), you will see on the first page a box where you can sign up for their email newsletter. It takes a minute and you get the newsletter every couple of months. Once you have done that, you can sign up for their Beethoven on Demand. That is, in fact, the Naxos Music Library -- over 38000 CDs on over 100 labels. About 36000 of these are classical, and it is an overwhelming embarrassment of riches, including some of the greatest recordings ever made. There they are ready for to stream over your computer speakers. The NML cost about $200 a year to subscribe to here, but through the TSO you get it free. It shocked me when I first explored it. Sign up, type J.S. Bach in the search bar and see what happens. There are 2119 entries for Bach, including CDs that are compilations with other composers. Probably the greatest freebie on the internet.

Dorte H sagde ...

Philip: thank you very much indeed! I will send this on to my husband, the technician, and to my Bach-loving daughter.