onsdag den 9. december 2009

DJ´s Bait in the Box # 44

[This week´s beautiful and very appropriate bait box
belongs to Julia,
A Piece of my Mind]

Do you recognize this classic crime story?

“There had clearly been a terrific struggle. Heavy furniture was overturned. China vases lay splintered on the floor. In the middle of the hearthrug in front of the blazing fire lay Simeon in a great pool of blood. … Blood was splashed all round. The place was like a shambles.

There was a long shuddering sigh, and then two voices spoke in turn. Strangely enough, the words they uttered were both quotations.


David said: ´The mills of God grind slowly…´


Lydia´s voice came like a fluttering whisper: ´Who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him?´


The Rules:
If you recognize the quotation, or if you think you are able to guess who wrote it, please post a comment. Just leave a hint, do not spoil the fun by giving too much away. The book will be reviewed on Friday.

12 kommentarer:

Uriah Robinson sagde ...

I haven't a clue is it a male or female writer?

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - What a festive choice for this week's "bait!" Funny how at least two of the versions of this title have a word that sounds very like the author's name.

Jose Ignacio Escribano sagde ...

Dorte this time I have no clue, besides Macbeth. Anyhow I just want to tell you that the box in the picture from “Chocolates Valor” comes from Spain, nice chocolates and nice box.

Dorte H sagde ...

Norman: I think it is more helpful to tell you it is a true classic (much older than me).

Margot: oh, that was a great clue! (Or rather two good clues).

Jose: but Macbeth is a good clue, though the novel is not quite as old as Shakespeare. I think the Spanish box is very beautiful, and the picture should help my readers along.

Philip Amos sagde ...

'Simon', Dorte? Are you trying to put me off the scent? Anyway, a very appropriate choice for this time from a writer not as much known for Shakespearean allusions as at least two contemporaries.

Uriah Robinson sagde ...

Ah Simon! Got it, I kept on thinking it must be a Michael ......., but it isn't.
The author was known by a different name in our locality.

Jose Ignacio Escribano sagde ...

Dorte, Now I recognize it, very appropiate title for Christmas.

Dorte H sagde ...

Philip: I could pretend I did it on purpose to challenge you for once, but the embarrassing truth is that I was just too sleepy to pay attention when I began reading the book yesterday.

Dorte H sagde ...

Norman, I am glad my readers are more reliable helpers than I am :D

Jose: great! And yes, for once I have taken the time to think about which books to read and review :D

Bernadette sagde ...

OK I think this is a seasonal title by one of Margot (and Kerrie's) favourite authors?

R/T sagde ...

Dorte, your brain-teaser (tough on my gray matters) reminded me only that I recently wrote a letter to Santa (i.e., my Christmas wish-list), and asked for two things: a Belgian waffle maker and some tiny scissors for trimming my moustache.

Dorte H sagde ...

Bernadette: one point to you :)

R.T.: great clues. LOL