onsdag den 6. maj 2009

DJ's Bait in the Box # 16

This vintage matchbox is my own – and so is the "neo-classical" crime novel.

The bucket was still on the way up.
As it broke through the surface of the water, a man on the pier took a few steps toward the boat. He waved his arms and shouted something. The deck man looked up to hear better.
“There´s someone in the bucket! Stop! Someone´s lying in the bucket!”

The confused deck man looked first at the man and then at the bucket which slowly swung in over the hold to spit out its contents. Filthy gray water streamed out of the bucket as it hung over the hold. Then the deck man saw what the man on the breakwater had seen. A white, naked arm stuck out of the bucket´s jaw.

The Rules:
If you recognize the quotation, or if you think you are able to guess who wrote it, please post a comment. Just leave a hint, do not spoil the fun by giving too much away. The book will be reviewed on Friday as usual.

Gæt en bog # 16

Denne uges krimi kan måske bedst kaldes en ung klassiker.

Skovlen var stadig på vej op.
Da den dukkede op over vandfladen, rejste en mand på bredden sig og gik et par skridt hen imod båden. Han vinkede med armene og råbte et eller andet. Dæksmanden rettede sig op som for bedre at kunne høre, hvad han sagde.
”Der er nogen i skovlen! Stop! Der ligger nogen i skovlen.”

Dæksmanden så forvirret på manden og derpå på skovlen, som langsomt svingede ind over lastrummet for at udspy sit indhold. Skiddengråt vand fossede ud af skovlen, idet maskinisten bremsede den lige over lastrummet. I det øjeblik så dæksmanden, hvad manden på bølgebryderen allerede havde set. Ud fra skovlens kæber stak en nøgen hvid arm.

Reglerne:
Hvis du kan genkende citatet, eller hvis du tror du kan gætte hvem forfatteren er, så læg venligst en kommentar. Skriv bare et hint til nye besøgende, lad være med at ødelægge fornøjelsen for andre.

12 kommentarer:

Kate S. sagde ...

I know, I know! In fact, I'm reading that very book myself at the moment. I'm not even going to hint at the answer lest I give it away, so let me just say that I expect to post my own review of it in the next couple of days, and I look forward to comparing notes with you.

Uriah Robinson sagde ...

I know this and have just replaced the book on my shelf after checking. Neo-classical indeed. There is a connection with an American president but the book is not set there. I hope I haven't given too much away.

Dorte H sagde ...

Kate, what a great idea!
I hope you´ll like it (I am cheating a bit in May because I am so busy so I review a number of books I have read earlier - but don´t tell anyone ;))

Norman, I don´t think you and I are known as people who give too much away LOL

WhereDunnit sagde ...

I wondered if it comes from the first in a series with an eponymous corpse? My copy is down in the garage, so I can't go and check til later on this morning.

Uriah Robinson sagde ...

"Eponymous corpse" now that is a clue;o) I keep my copy close to me on the "greats" shelf.

Dorte H sagde ...

Norman, thank you for your intervension - now I won´t have to search for my dictionary while Steph is looking for her book :)

But Steph, it is definitely first in a series.

Kerrie sagde ...

I haven't read this yet Dorte, but I have it on a list somewhere. The Danish word for the month is a wonderful clue to the first name of one of this writing duo. How is that for a clue?

Dorte H sagde ...

Kerrie, that is indeed a wonderful clue :D

Lauren sagde ...

I knew I'd read this recently - it was my plane book on the way to a friend's wedding last year. International travel (and particularly trans-Atlantic communication) has certainly become easier with technology since this was written!

Dorte H sagde ...

Lauren: yes, there was a lot of waiting time for the poor police officers then :D

marco sagde ...

So you did read it in English, not in its original language? Or did you look up the English translation for the quiz?

Dorte H sagde ...

Marco, well spotted.
I own the series in Danish, but when I can, I find the English translation online. So this week both the Danish and the English versions are ´authentic´.