søndag den 3. april 2011

The Notice Board

 It is early days yet so let me open the ball with news about a Danish crime writer.

I am very happy to tell you that Jussi Adler-Olsen´s first police procedural featuring Carl Mørck  is on its way in English. Mørck may not be the most active cop, but fortunately his superior appoints an assistant, the rather unusual ´little helper´ Assad.

"Mercy" (Kvinden i buret, 2007) was a fine debut (I read it before my blogging days), and the series has received well-deserved acclaim in Scandinavia. Danish reviewers agree that Adler-Olsen is in brilliant shape, and I promise to review volume three and four before long. I just like spacing fine series like this one out a bit.

"Mercy" (UK edition) should come out the 12th of May.
"Keeper of Lost Causes" (US edition) is planned for the 18th of August.

My review of the second volume, Fasandræberne (The Pheasant Killers)

Jussi Adler-Olsen´s home page

-----------------------

And remember, send me an e-mail if you want me to post YOUR crime fiction news.

6 kommentarer:

pattinase (abbott) sagde ...

The Scandinavians have seized the ball of crime fiction and run with it. As they said in an article in the NYT how do countries with so few murders produce so much crime fiction.

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - Thanks for this good news :-). I like police procedurals, and I'm always interested in trying new ones. I'll have to keep a lookout for this one.

Unknown sagde ...

When it does finally come out, please let us know. I will buy it.

Dorte H sagde ...

Patti: well, some people want to escape from crime & murder, others try to escape from boredom (perhaps) ;)

Margot: sometimes I have wondered at the choice of British/American publishers when they bought Danish series I found bland and boring, but I like this one very much - and there is a nice sense of humour in it.

Clarissa: I will try to keep you (and myself) updated.

betteskov sagde ...

I love Jussi and all his recent books (I find that some of the older non-crime fiction stuff has promise, but is not nearly as pleasant to read). The Carl Mørk-books are very interesting choices for translation, and I would love to hear whether non-Danes enjoy these books or not. At lot of the humour is related to Assad and his unorthodox use of the Danish language - it will take a great translator to Anglify the fun... And what about the political stuff? I can´t wait to read some reviews from readers of the English versions!

Dorte H sagde ...

Jane: I´ll try to remember to link to some of the reviews because I have thought exactly the same about Assad´s ´Danish´.