lørdag den 9. april 2011

James W. Nichol, Midnight Cab (2002)

A mini-review 

This Canadian thriller offers a most intriguing beginning. A three-year-old boy is left by the roadside, and all he can tell the police is that his name is Walker. Inexplicably, no one misses the little boy who is later adopted by a loving family in the country.

Of course Walker feels an urge to know who he is when he grows up, so at the age of eighteen he moves to Toronto. Here he finds a job as a taxi driver and forms a friendship with the handicapped night despatcher Krista Papadopoulos.

And then there is the story from the past about the boy Bobby who knows his father is not satisfied with him but doesn´t really understand why - Bobby is certain he has a brilliant future ahead of him, but for the reader it is difficult not to worry about his violent streak.

Very entertaining and exciting thriller. Furthermore the character Walker and his friendship with Krista appealed to me quite a lot. This debut is strongly recommended.

This was a Petrona book (caution: they tend to be addictive).

Sunday´s post: come back tomorrow for the Notice Board - and meet a rather unusual character. 

8 kommentarer:

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - Oh, yes, I'd heard about this one. And you've made it all the more intriguing now! I am going to have to add this to my TBR. And I agree with you about Petrona books...;-)

Mason Canyon sagde ...

I agree. This does sound intriguing. You got me with a 3-year-old left by the roadside.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Maxine Clarke sagde ...

So glad you liked this one - it was recommended to me by Simon Clarke (no relation). Sorry to be so evilly addictive with Petrona books ;-)

Dorte H sagde ...

Margot: it is one of my best spring reads; great plot, setting and characters.

Mason: it was a fantastic hook indeed.

Maxine: I don´t know if I believe it when ´book pushers´ claim they are sorry ;)

Kelly sagde ...

A debut you say? No, no. No matter how good you made this sound I don't need to start a new author!

Dorte H sagde ...

Kelly: a debut from 2002 - and it seems he hasn´t written any novels since then - come on, that could have been much worse ;D

Unknown sagde ...

I have a Canadian book picked out for my International challenge but I might just change to this one.

Dorte H sagde ...

Clarissa: I think it would be a good choice for the challenge because it gives a strong sense of place, both Toronto and the countryside.