søndag den 27. februar 2011

Peter Lovesey, Diamond Dust (2004)

This is the fourteenth British Peter Diamond novel.

Peter Diamond of Bath CID ends a case successfully by putting one of the infamous Carpenter brothers in prison for life. He does not get much time to enjoy his success, however, because a few hours later his wife, Stephanie, is shot in a local park.

Of course he cannot be in charge of this case, and for a few weeks he is so engrossed in his loss and the funeral preparations that he accepts staying on the sideline, especially as his colleagues seem to be efficient and competent. But when he surfaces again, he cannot just watch the investigation which by now seems to lead nowhere.

After a slow part the story gathers speed in the second half. There is a good and entertaining plot, but I do get annoyed when experienced policemen forget about important clues for 300 pages. There is one unusual side to this detective, however; he genuinely loved his wife and remembered to tell her.

I bought the book myself for the What´s in a Name Challenge, a gem.

11 kommentarer:

Anonym sagde ...

Dorte - Thanks for this review. I could not agree with you more! I like it best when the detective is at least as sharp as the reader, and notices clues promptly, if not immediately. Overall, though, I'm glad you thought this was a good one.

Unknown sagde ...

Can I tell you what depresses me? The fact that I feel I'll never catch up reading all the cool books you feature on this blog! There isn't enough time! Thanks for the introduction to Lovesey.

Felicity Grace Terry sagde ...

Hmm, I was interested in this book until you mentioned the annoyance of forgetting important clues. Perhaps I'll see if our library has a copy instead of buying it.

Dorte H sagde ...

Margot: it was okay, but I liked the other story in this book better. I´ll post my review next week.

Clarissa: well, if you are really desperate, don´t buy this one. I´ll review one or two next week that are better ;)

Tracy: perhaps I should just enjoy feeling smarter than the detective - but it just annoys me.

Kelly sagde ...

Have you read many in this series? I like the location (Bath) and wonder if I should start the series.

Belle Wong sagde ...

I've not read this series yet. It sounds like a good one to start from the beginning, in order.

Dorte H sagde ...

Kelly: no, this is my first one. The sense of place is fine, but I don´t think I like it enough to read the thirteen volumes before this one.

Belle: it probably is.

Mason Canyon sagde ...

This is a 'new to me' author and sounds like an interesting read, once you get past the slow part. The detective sounds like a intriguing character.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Dorte H sagde ...

Mason: I think he is fine, at least I enjoyed the other one in the book quite a lot. I just had this annoying clue problem in this one, something that I can´t just ignore. I kept waiting for him to remember for most of the book.

Beth F sagde ...

New author for me too, and perfect for What's in a Name!

Dorte H sagde ...

Beth: yes, I have been on the search for a gem for long time ;)